Monday, January 19, 2009

The Unexpected Weekend!!!


We started off the weekend with 2 doctor appointments on Friday. Our first one was a gestational diabetes diet education class which last 3 hours! Now during this time I thought that oh my god, could it get any worse....I was sooo very wrong! At this point good news was the endocrinologist thought that I could control my blood sugar with only a diet change. Bad news was it was going to be a lot of work tracking my meals and that I now had the gestational diabetes label and I still had to prick my finger 6 times a day.

Our next appointment was a prenatal check up. We were called back late but no big deal. They checked my blood pressure and it was a little high but the OB didn't seem too concerned and decided to check it again before I left. So the second time it was very high and she informed us that we had to go to the hospital just to get monitored for a little while and then probably go home. Boy where they wrong on that last statement!

I was so excited to be going to Bedford this weekend. I had two showers planned and could not wait to see many of the friends and family I haven't seen in awhile, so I was slightly irritated that our plan to head down right after my appointment was being delayed. Needless to say, it really didn't matter because both of my showers were cancelled!

Once in the hospital they check my BP and it was still very high. I also had to do a 24 hour urine test and have blood work done. The 1st urine test came back with a lot of protein in it. With this and high blood pressure I now was labeled preeclamsia, of course!!! So after all this I was not going for a few minutes, they admitted me right then. My OB was on call so she came in to go over everything with us. She said I had to stay the whole weekend for observation. My urine levels went down and were fine but my blood pressure continued to skyrocket!

On Sunday, she told me I could probably go home if my BP looked ok and my mom could come up to stay with me since I would now be on strict bedrest for the next two weeks. The OB wanted me to make it to 37 weeks and then be induced! So my BP was 157/110. I was NOT going anywhere. The next thing I knew was that I was being wheeled to labor & delivery! They put me on Magnesium and started the induction process.

So here I am at 3:30AM waiting to deliver! I wasn't allowed to shower today due to the BP. Since I am on the Magnesium I once again am on bedrest which means they had to insert a catheter, which is the most horrendous thing so far! I am hooked up to 3 bags of IV stuff and have my BP check every hour and finger pricked every 2 hours. I cannot eat, which I am starving since all I have ate for the past few days is diet food they bring me that tastes awful! I am on the Potosin drip which should trigger contractions at any time now. Cooper looks and sounds great! He is ready to go with his head down!

So be thinking about me and wishing me luck. Since I have PUPPS (that have came back), gestational diabetes, and now preeclamsia. But it will all be worth it by this time tomorrow (hopefully). I am praying for a great delivery and labor since the pregnancy itself has not been so great. My OB told me today well you are just allergic to being pregnant! Great, sometime to look forward to the next time around. Oh yes, there will be a second!

Here's to a great labor and a beautiful baby boy born on MLK Jr. Day, "I have a dream....of great things to come my way here!"

2 comments:

Brandy P said...

I'm praying for a fast a safe delivery for you, Courtney! It will all be worth it once you have that adorable little Cooper in your arms!

DoubleK said...

Hey girl, I'll be thinking about you. I'm watching for a post about a happy-healthy little baby boy.

Good Luck!!
Kathy Kirk